DESCRIPTION of Architect
Architects design and plan buildings and structures appropriate in terms of materials and design and also meet the client's specifications. Architects may be involved in all phases of development, from the initial discussion through construction. Their duties demand a variety of skills design, engineering, managerial and supervisory.
Some architects concentrate on. Design involves both artistic and scientific skills, i.e.
• They work on a set of instructions from there the type of building required - residential, commercial or industrial or an entire or industrial estate and the estimated budget available.
• The project could involve designing from the very beginning or making alterations to existing structures. • The ideas are discussed and approved
• Sketches and plans with details of sizes, specifications are made and estimates of the cost of building materials prepared.
• Models for a more graphic presentation of a project may be prepared.
• Designing the interior layout of buildings.
• The work may be done by an architect alone, in a team, or with the aid of architectural technicians. This largely depends on the type of organization or firm an architect is working for and the type of contracts he undertakes. Managerial and administrative responsibilities
• Obtaining building permission from the local authority
• Preparing and negotiating contracts with building contractors, civil and structural engineers, and surveyors
• Presenting drawings and estimates.
• As overall in-charge architects make regular visits to the site, checking the progress and quality of work
• Ensuring site and
• Issuing instructions to the contractor/agent and certifying payments to contractors.
• Discussing problems with the site manager and civil or structural engineers until the construction is complete and ready for the client's use.
Career opportunities for an Architect
• Practical apprenticeship with an Architectural firm in the final year of studies.
• After graduation - apprenticeship with an architectural firm/agency/firm for managing small assignments. Learning under senior architects the technicalities involved in design.
• After a few years of apprenticeship, architects can handle small projects and make architectural
• Experienced and senior professionals in Architecture work on large assignments and generally have a team of junior architects, architectural assistants, etc. They work as consulting managers, directing, inspecting and dealing with major technical issues, costing, legal decisions, etc. It takes 10 years or more to reach their position.
CLICK HERE-> TO TAKE OUR CAREER ASSESSMENT TEST
Employment Opportunities for Architect
• Architectural design firms
• Architecture & Engineering Services firms
• Central Public Works Department
• Entrepreneurial ventures
• Government - urban development department
• National Building Organization
How to become
Stream Science PCM
• Entrance Test
JEE* / National Aptitude Test**
Arch is a 5-year course after +2 with Maths.
1. Entrance through JEE Beginning 2013 the IIT JEE and AIEEE entrance examinations by the new Joint Entrance Exam (JEE Main conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). Apart from being the first stage exam for entry into the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), the JEE (Main) is conducted for entry to National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and centrally-funded colleges of Architecture. Deemed institutions of Architecture and all institutions which have been approved by AICTE select students based on JEE Main. The
The states of Goa, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Haryana and West Bengal have also agreed to select students for through the new JEE.
Pattern of the Test
Three attempts to qualify the new Joint Entrance Examination (Main
Candidates who want to take admission in B Arch/ B Planning courses at NITs, IIITs, DTU and other centrally funded technical institutes (CFTIs) have to give the second test (equivalent to Paper-II of AIEEE) only in offline mode. This test is held on the same day as the JEE Main, 2013.
1. For All Architecture colleges score on the National Aptitude Test conducted under the aegis of Council of Architecture New Delhi is required. It measures the aptitude in specific areas such as drawing, observation skills, sense of proportion, critical thinking and aesthetic sensitivity needed for a career in Architecture. This test has been prescribed as a compulsory criteria for taking admission into an Architecture college in India.
Architecture graduates can study for a post-graduate course of 18 months to 2 years.
Median Pay Scale/salary of
1.72 Lakh to 11.78 Lakhs per annum The median salary for architects is 3.5 lakhs per annum. Beginning with approximately 1.75 lakhs per annum it may go up to over a
Top Architect Colleges in India
Colleges offering Architecture courses
• Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra
• Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar
• Sushant School of Art & Architecture
• Jadavpur University
• Bengal Engineering College
• Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya Institute of Environmental Planning & Technology
• Punjab University
• Maharshi Dayanand University
• Vastu Kala Academy
To keep exploring, head on to our page on career banks and blogs on different careers, entrance exams, courses, colleges, jobs, etc.