Bakers produce baked goods such as cakes, pastries, breads, pies, cookies, biscuits and crackers, etc. in commercial and retail bakeries.
• Create recipes, measure ingredients, mix and bake breads, cakes and all types of baked goods
• Glaze, frost and top baked goods using a variety of ingredients and techniques
• Clean and maintain baking equipment.
• Procure and check the quality of the ingredients.
• Work in retail for restaurants, grocery stores, canteens, specialist stores, etc. or in commercial production.
• Train and supervise workers such as blenders, dough or batter mixers, decorators, packers, etc.
• Train workers to handle high volume mixing machines, oven and equipment used in the mass production of standardized baked goods.
• Supervise production line workers and oversee the entire production process.
• May oversee the packaging and dispatch of baked goods to maintain freshness and looks.
• Prepare baked goods in smaller quantities which are sold through retail outlets.
• Decide on quantities to be produced based on demand.
• Prepare a budget for purchases and supplies.
• Procure and quality check all ingredients.
• Measure, mix and bake items for sale.
• Decorate with frosting, toppings and glazes.
• Train to assist staff.
• Fix prices of products.
• May manage sales through the retail outlet
Employment Opportunities for Baker:
• Large baked goods manufacturers
• Retail bakeries
• Specialist bakeries
• Hotels & Restaurants
• Fast food outlets
• Airlines caterers
• Cruise liners
• Institutional food service providers
Top Recruiting Companies of Baker:
How to become Baker?
• Std X/ XII
Baking & Confectionery
• Std XII
• Diploma/ Degree
(Food & Beverage)
Baker & Confectioner
*Short courses for school leavers in Food craft Institutes
There are short duration courses of 6 months to one year conducted by Food Craft institutes. Bakery and Confectionery, Diploma [6months to 2 years]
Eligibility - Class X/XII with 50% marks.
Selection - Merit in the qualifying exam.
Entry - Entry after these courses is at Craftsmen/ Assistant level, and in the specific area in which training has been taken.
To keep exploring, head on to our page on career banks and blogs on different careers, entrance exams, courses, colleges, jobs, etc.