The Central Board of Excise and Customs, is part of Revenue department under the Finance Ministry. The Customs department deals with the levy of taxable goods imported into the country and are responsible for making policies and procedures regarding customs enforcement. Custom officials are responsible for checking traveler's baggage, cargo, and all commercial transactions at the Indian borders for conforming to laid down rules.
JOB PROFILE OF A CUSTUM OFFICER-
Typical responsibilities of the job include:
- identifying people to question on the basis of prior offences/likely risk etc
- searching baggage and individuals for smuggled items
- making arrests of people suspected of smuggling
- seizing smuggled goods
- checking documentation relating to imported goods
- detecting and prosecuting drug smugglers
- collecting and supplying trade statistics
- writing reports
- fighting the increasing problem of alcohol and tobacco smuggling
- helping to combat the worldwide illegal trade in endangered species of animals and birds
- dealing with revenue due on imported goods.
WHAT SKILLS ARE REQUIRED TO BE A CUSTOM OFFICER?
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, Aptitude and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality and interest required to succeed in this career are-
THINK YOU POSSES THE ABOVE QUALITIES?
HOW TO BECOME A CUSTOM OFFICER?
In order to become a Customs Officer, the aspirants will have to appear for the Civil Services Examination.
-A Bachelor’s degree is the basic qualification.
-A custom officer who is working under the Government of India should be above 19 yrs and must have completed graduation.
-The aspirant must score above 55% of marks and then only can he/she apply.
-The admit cards are sent out based on the merit achieved in graduation level.
-The notifications are published in the employment newspaper and other prominent periodicals.
-The exam is conducted annually but there are many other private companies who offer the same job.
Qualities required for the position as a Custom Officer
- Age limit- 18 years old
- Indian citizenship
- Must possess a Vehicle license
- Ability to work flexible schedules
- Have reliable transportation
- Should never have used drugs of any kind
- Must pass an extensive background check
- Must be able to successfully complete all training required for the desired position
- Must be able to activate a radio or telephone equipment and console monitors
- Display an aptitude to cooperate genially and communicate with the community.