WHAT IS GEOLOGY?
It is an interdisciplinary science related to physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics.Geology is a multi-disciplinary aspects, which includes following areas
i) Study of minerals - Mineralogy,
ii) Study of rocks - Petrology,
iii) Study of the structure of the Earth - Structural Geology,
iv) Study of volcanic phenomena - Volcanology,
v) Study of landforms and the processes that produce them -Geomorphology and Glaciology,
vi) Study of fossils -Paleontology,
vii) Study of the development of sedimentary strata - Stratigraphy,
viii) Study of the evolution of planetary bodies and their satellites - Astrogeology.
- Supervise exploration work in deserts, ocean floors, riverbeds, mountains, etc.
- They research and carry out scientific study with organizations involved in geological work who locate physical data and material for study from near the earth’s surface and in the sea.
- Analyze information collected through seismic prospecting; examine surface rocks and samples of buried rocks, study information collected by satellites.
- Identify rocks, minerals, and fossils
- Conduct geological surveys, construct maps
- Measure the earth’s gravity and magnetic field.
- Research for locating oil, natural gas and minerals.
- Work in laboratories to study samples from the earth or seabed.
- Study the flow of oil and water through rocks.
- In government departments they monitor waste disposal sites and water supplies.
This profession involves lot of outdoor work and activities. Exploration is an integral part of this profession. Geologists often have to visit mines, marine ecosystems, deserts, mountains and river beds to carry out their tasks. If you are willing to travel extensively, this job won’t trouble you at all! Sometimes, the work location and condition will be tough and demanding.
SKILLS REQUIRED TO BE GEOLOGIST
While looking for a job, we search about the responsibilities, scope, qualification etc required for a particular. But we often forget the most important factors i.e career interest, Aptitude and personality, needed to be considered, while applying for a job.
Some of the basic aptitude, personality and interest required to succeed in this career are-
THINK YOU POSSES THE ABOVE QUALITIES?
Courses of Geology-
- B.Sc. Applied Geology
- B.Sc. Geology
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Geology
- M.Sc. Applied Geology (Tech.)
- M.Sc. Petroleum Geology
- M.Sc. Petroleum Geosciences
- M.Sc. Geology
- M.Sc. Geology (Hons)
- M.Sc. Geology (Tech)
- M.Sc. Agrometerology
- M.Sc. Applied Geology
- M.Sc. Geology and Applied Chemistry
- M.Sc. Marine Geology
- M.Tech. Applied Geology
- M.Tech. Geoexploration
- M.Tech. Petroleum Geo-science
- Ph.D. Geology
Specializations available in Geology-
- Remote Sensing
- Economic Geology
- Geological Engineering
The basic criterion for applying to a Bachelor’s degree in Geology is qualifying Class XII examination or equivalent with Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry. The duration for bachelors is three years and four if you apply for Honors.
The basic criterion for applying to a Master’s degree in Geology is passing the graduation degree with the required subject with a minimum of 50 per cent marks. The duration for masters is two years.
In order to apply for a Ph.D in Geology the candidate must score a minimum of 55 per cent marks in their Master's degree.
JOB PROSPECTS & SALARY-
- Through UPSC – Job after Master Degree- Scientist-B/scientist-C in the pay scale Rs.15,600-39,100 with grade pay Rs.5400/- and other central government allowances in Various Central Organisations as Geological Survey of India (GSI), National Geophysical Research Institute, Space Applications Centre, National Remote Sensing Centre, National Institute of Oceanography etc
- Jobs in Various PSUs & other Govt Sectors- Job after Graduation –Pay Scale Rs. 11,000-24,000/-& other allowances. Such as Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. (ONGC), Minerals and Metals Trading Corporation (MMTC), National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC), NALCO etc.
- Jobs in Private companies- Job after Master degree- a salary between Rs. 25,000-38,000. In Hindalco, Cairn Energy,Reliance Energy,Shell etc.
ALTERNATIVE CAREER OPTIONS
Unlike many other career moves, Geology is one such career which opens the door to a plethora of other opportunities. Students who study Geology can later on move on to the likes of courses such as Paleontology, Geophysics, Mining, Environmental Education, Petrology, etc and can with the course of time think of becoming Geographers, Oceanographers, Geologists, Meteorologists, Seismologist, Completions Technologist, Processing Geophysicist, Researchersand many other such options.
To keep exploring, head on to our page on career banks and blogs on different careers, entrance exams, courses, colleges, jobs, etc.