Technical illustrators are professionals that use their skills to create illustrations for engineering, manufacturing, and other technical purposes.
Technical Illustration is a career with a lot of opportunities. There are different types of jobs in this field, such as:
- Illustrating blueprints
- Working on product design
- Creating animations
- Drawing and designing technical illustrations for manuals and instruction manuals.
A technical illustrator's job is to create illustrations and diagrams that are used in the manufacturing or construction industries. The responsibilities of a technical illustrator can vary depending on the industry, but they typically include:
- Creating sketches and drawings for projects
- Drawing blueprints for projects
- Drawing schematics to show how parts should be assembled
- Creating renderings of buildings, landscapes, or other things that need to be constructed
- Working with engineers and architects to make sure plans are accurate
- Reviewing drawings and making changes as needed
A technical illustrator is someone who creates technical drawings, diagrams, charts, and illustrations that are used in engineering and other fields.
The job requirements for a technical illustrator depend on the industry that they work in. For example, an automotive illustrator will need to have knowledge of how cars work while an architectural illustrator needs to know about architecture. They also need to be able to sketch or draw well and be good at using computers for their job.
To become a technical illustrator in India, you can follow the steps outlined below:
1. Education: You will need to have a Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as graphic design, visual arts, or technical illustration. A degree in a technical field like engineering or architecture can also be helpful.
2. Develop Illustration Skills: Technical illustrators create illustrations that convey technical information. Therefore, you should develop your illustration skills, including sketching, drawing, and digital illustration.
3. Gain Technical Knowledge: You should have a basic understanding of the technical field that you will be illustrating. You can gain this knowledge through formal education, training, or work experience in the industry.
4. Learn Technical Illustration Tools: Technical illustrators use various software tools for creating and editing illustrations. Learning popular technical illustration software tools like Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW, and AutoCAD can be beneficial.
5. Build a Portfolio: You can build a portfolio of your illustration samples by taking on freelance illustration projects, contributing to technical publications, or creating illustrations for open-source software projects.
6. Job Placement: Technical illustration positions are available in various industries, including engineering, manufacturing, and architecture. You can start looking for job positions in the industry that you have an interest in.
7. Professional Certification: Professional certification can be helpful to demonstrate your skills and knowledge in technical illustration. Certification programs like the Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) and the Autodesk Certified User (ACU) are recognized in the industry.
In summary, to become a technical illustrator in India, you need to have a Bachelor's degree in a related field, develop illustration skills, gain technical knowledge, learn technical illustration tools, build a portfolio of illustration samples, look for job positions in the industry, and consider professional certification programs to enhance your skills and credibility.
Choosing a career should be a meticulous process. Take a Career Assessment Test to check your suitability for Technical Illustrator
Click here to choose a plan
Check if your skills are appropriate for Technical Illustrator. There is scope and opportunity in every career, if it matches your Interest, personality and aptitude.
We follow a top to bottom approach. Our career counselors in the face to face counseling session would first discuss whether Technical Illustrator is a suitable career option for the student/child or not. If the reports shows that child does have the aptitude, personality and interest required for this particular career, then the counselor will guide him/her about the scope, job opportunities for Technical Illustrator and also help with the entrance exams, colleges, courses, private tutors etc for this career.